Wednesday, July 9, 2014

preparing for the {journey}

Last Monday, my best friend Elise came and surprised me with a week-long visit.  By far the best surprise I could have ever had!  Elise and I were able to explore the city and spend lots of time in prayer over Ethiopia and our dreams to build a medical clinic and school near the capital.  The trip was refreshing, fun, and such a blessing to me.  Elise left on Monday and since then I have been preparing for my mission trip to Haiti.

My to-do list had escalated to an all-time high last night, but since then, I have been able to (through God's power alone) get most of it done.  I still have to finish packing for this trip, get packed for college, finish paperwork for Moody, and finish preparing for a Bible study.  Perhaps I shouldn't be blogging with so much left to do; however, I am also in the middle of an online driving course that forces you to spend 12 minutes on each page... So I've found myself on here.  

I remember just about a year ago, sitting in the TEM mission house, talking to Brother Chuck about coming back to Haiti.  A couple of us felt like God was calling us back, telling us to trust Him even when it seemed like a distant, scary thought to return to a country so vastly different and dangerous compared to our "home" in the United States.  Brother Chuck had warned us- he told us about how hard it can get there- how people can be threatening and deceitful, and it can feel lonely and desperate at times.  Yet sometimes that is exactly where God sends you- to the places that seem too hazardous and uncomfortable that it would be quite literally impossible to go without Him.  That's where I am; I am absolutely nothing without Him and I cannot do this without His help, but He is faithful, for He cannot deny Himself.  [2 Timothy 2:13]

I wanted to take a minute to thank all the people who have supported me through prayer, finances, and words of encouragement leading up to this trip.  Friends and strangers alike from Cinco Baptist, my school, and community have poured into me specifically with prayer and advice and I know that God has used not only myself to bring the gospel to Haiti, but also my prayer partners and fellow missionaries.  God is so good, and He is the One who has provided for this trip- He is the One that will sustain me, lead me, and show me His vast love throughout this trip (and thereafter).  To Him be the glory!

Just thinking back on how amazing God is has renewed my excitement for life and for this trip.  I am so excited!  Please continue to pray for our team of teachers this week as we pour into our Haitian teacher friends and try to share His Word with them.  Please also continue to pray for the following:

-safe travels 
-that we praise Him even if safety isn't secured
-our bags make it to Haiti
-teachers' conference in Z'oranges (those in charge and those poured into)
-medical clinic in Z'oranges (those of us leading it and those being treated)
-protection from sickness 
-attitudes that reflect Christ more than ourselves
-medical clinic in the NW
-premature babies in the NW 
-the Trueloves (medical clinic missionaries in the NW)
-that we praise Jesus even if none of our prayers are answered the way we expect and that we praise Him in the storms

Thank you so much for partnering with me in prayer!  

I will earnestly try to keep up with the blog if I have internet; however, the chances of having internet are slim, so I will probably have to end up updating about the trip in about six weeks, when I return to the US and get settled into Moody life.  

Let the name of the Lord be praised, both now and forevermore.  Psalm 113:2

Countdown to Haiti:  14 hours!

A look into what will be packed away in my suitcase:

No comments:

Post a Comment