Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Thanks, God

As I sat in Flagstaff Gardens on a little stony place with the sun shining this morning, God spoke through one of His daughters to me. It doesn’t happen often – that we get a sign, a wonder, a miracle. Often times this faith journey is one of just that, faith. It’s taking steps forward, following a God that sometimes sounds silent and feels distant. But we press on, holding to the truth of His Word and to the goodness of His presence, even when we can’t feel Him there. But this morning was an unexpected blessing, a gift from my Father.

As I was sitting in that stony place, I prayed, and I cried alligator tears as I contemplated what this summer just might hold. I’ve given up on my plans and I’m now at a crossroad, unsure of where the Lord is leading me, but praying for the strength and courage to trust Him. And at this endeavor I’ve often failed. I’ve put my hope in my own abilities or plans for so long (blindly) that it’s been such a process of tearing down the walls of my heart in order to be raw enough to trust Him.

So I read Psalm 62 and Amos 4, which have been my comfort passages for a while now. And I cried a little more. And then this girl walked by, and although I can’t exactly explain this, I knew she was a Christian the moment she walked by. So I prayed that Jesus would bless her mightily. She paused behind me for what felt like five minutes, and then came back, smiling. She asked if I was a Christian, and when I answered “yes”, she gained confidence and said, “God told me to come and tell you that He is with you”. I smiled, and then cried, and we exchanged our stories of what God has been doing in our hearts over the past year.

Trust. Andrea and I are learning trust. And although that carries clich├ęs and Christianeze, it’s tangible, and it’s hard. And it’s one of those concepts that’s a lot easier said than done. But I’m learning, and I’m thankful for the God of the universe that isn’t done with me yet. And He’s with me.


He is also with you. 

Psalm 62
For God alone my soul waits in silence; from Him comes my salvation.
He alone is my Rock and my Salvation, my Fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken.
How long will all of you attack a man to batter him, like a leaning wall, a tottering fence?
They only plan to thrust him down from his high position. They take pleasure in falsehood. They bless with their mouths, but inwardly they curse.
For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from Him.
He only is my Rock and my Salvation, my Fortress; I shall not be shaken.
On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty Rock, my refuge is God.
Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us.
Those of low estate are but a breath; those of high estate are a delusion; in the balances they go up; they are together lighter than a breath.
Put no trust in extortion; set no vain hopes on robbery; if riches increase, set not your heart on them.
Once God has spoken; twice have I heard this: that power belongs to God, and that to You, O Lord, belongs steadfast love. For You will render to a man according to his work.

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you, Mal, and thankful for the gift of a Word from Him. Grateful for Andrea's obedience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Mom! I'm grateful too. Love you!

    ReplyDelete